If you could choose the format for your next PTQ what would it be?

Friday, June 26, 2009

New Magic 2010 Cards!

I was going to try and get my next “Just For Beginners” post out today but it is turning out to be quite a project. I might be taking out content and making it into multiple posts but I haven’t decided yet. So instead I’m just going to write down some of my thoughts about some of the recent spoiled cards and how I think they will fit into the current meta.

White is going to be a good color for the core set. I already commented Silence which is an extremely cheap and effective control card. I can actually see this card seeing some extended play time. There are going to be some good cards for pure White Weenie decks coming in the core set as well. Probably the most notable of them is Captain of the Watch which has been recently spoiled by MTG Salvation.






Captain of the Watch
Creature - Human Soldier
Vigilance
Other Soldier creatures you control get +1/+1 and have vigilance.
When Captain of the Watch enters the battlefield, put 3 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
3/3


As you can see its basically a Cloudgoat Ranger on roids! For 6 mana you get a 3/3 with vigilance that gives your other soldiers a boost and vigilance. Oh yeah it also gives you 3 more soldiers that gain the buff and become 2/2’s with vigilance as well. But it dies to path right?! :P This along with other cards being printed and ones that are already in standard are going to make for some exciting mono-white decks.

Along with the rest of the good white cards being printed or reprinted for the new core set is Soul Warden. This is a fun card to plan in a deck where a ton of creatures are coming into play like White Weenie. Using it with a card like say, Captain of the Watch you are not only getting 9 vigilance power for 6 mana you are also gaining 4 life! It can get kinda crazy and it makes racing your deck extremely difficult for someone who doesn’t have the same life-gaining abilities.




Fabricate has not been confirmed yet and after the Golden Lotus incident I am reluctant to put my trust completely in spoiler lists. A guy can hope though right?!


It, along with the fact that they are reprinting almost every core set card that I use in my Artifatties deck (link is to a slightly older list than what I’m using now) is being reprinted, nearly doubles my excitement over the new set. If I can tutor for my combo pieces without the aid of Tezzeret or Sphinx Summoner it will make the deck much more efficient and reliable. Fingers are crossed!!

Next week I will also be starting a new weekly post that I'm really excited about working on. I got the idea at work todaybut I don't want to share until I've had a chance to work on it a little bit. I hope you guys will enjoy it!

Please comment, email (homebrew.magic@gmail.com) or tweet (@homebrew_magic) any constructive criticism you have pertaining to this or any of my posts. Your input is both needed and appreciated. Happy Brewing!

(Pictures and links provided by Wizards of the Coast Inc and Quiet Speculation)

No comments:

Post a Comment