If you could choose the format for your next PTQ what would it be?

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Rules.. Rules..

With the introduction to the rule changes that are going to be made with the addition of the Magic 2010 core set that will be released next month there have been a flurry of blog articles discussing them. Here is the best one I've read yet. I agree with most of what was said in this particular article at top8magic.com and just wanted to talk about my views and reactions concerning these changes.

Screw it! Never mind. The only one I really care to talk about is changing combat damage so that it doesn't use the stack. This is the only change that really scared/angered me. My chin hit the floor as I quickly re-read the paragraph concerning this change and I am just now starting to realize it is actually going to happen! Combat tricks are my favorite part of magic. Period. I love everything about the game but pulling off some crazy shenanigans at the last second to both confuse/frustrate my opponent is the most fulfilling part of playing the game. I can't even fathom the effect its going to have on the game overall. Cards that were especially good for combat tricks currently will be, most likely, severely weakened.

The rest of the changes that are being made are mostly flavor related or are geared towards making newer players feel more comfortable playing. Those I'm really pleased with because without new players Magic has no future. They did a good job of "recapturing the flavor" which seems to be Wizard's main goal with this new set. Sorry if this ended up sounding like a rant but I guess that's exactly what it is. Players will just have to learn to adapt to these changes and new ones that they make in the future. Part of why I love magic is because it's an ever changing and adapting entity.

P.S. Here are the cards that were spoiled in the article ( some are reprints with awesome new art!)





























(Pictures and Links provided by Wizards of the Coast inc. and Top 8 Magic)

No comments:

Post a Comment